Click the picture below to visit Northamptonshire Carers website.
DO YOU LOOK AFTER SOMEONE?
If you provide regular, unpaid help for a relative or a friend who has additional needs as a result of disability, physical or mental illness, ageing or substance misuse then you are a Carer, and we would like to support you.
You don’t have to be getting Carers Allowance to be a ‘Carer’ and you don’t have to be doing a certain number of hours or performing personal care.
At The Crescent Medical Centre we recognise that caring for a friend or relative can be a rewarding experience, but it can also leave you tired and stressed. Caring may also affect your own health. Many people struggle alone, unaware of services available.
Please let us know
Telling us about your situation will help us to support you better:
- You will be offered an annual flu vaccination
- A note will be added to your record so practice staff are aware someone depends on you.
- This can help us better understand the condition of the person you care for and protect them if you became unwell.
- It will help us to look out for the warning signs of illnesses that are common among Carers, such as back pain, depression, high blood pressure etc.
- We aim to be flexible to fit appointments around your caring duties or provide joint appointments for you and the person you look after.
With your agreement we can put you in touch with the local charity Northamptonshire Carers who offer advice, support and FREE services such as:
- Gym sessions
- Carers sitting service
- Suffolk holiday chalets
- Trips & lunchbreaks
- Reiki and relaxation
- Regular telephone support
- One-to-one peer support
- Access to the Emergency Care Service
- Carers Assessment (your legal entitlement)
- Dementia Care Advice Service
If you would prefer you can contact them directly on 01933 677 907 or visit their websites www.northamptonshire-carers.org or http://www.wholooksafteryou.co.uk/ .
More information can be found on the NHS Choices website http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/what-is-social-care.aspx .
Young Carers Website
There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring. Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.
- Caring for a parent
Watch this video on: caring for a parent at home
- Telling people
Caring responsibilities can make it difficult to maintain friendships or develop new ones. Telling your friends you're a carer is important so they understand and can support you.
- Taking a break
Caring for someone can be a full-time job, but it's essential that you take time out for yourself too. Read our guide to accessing breaks and respite.
- Housing and carers
Do you know your tenancy rights as a carer? Are you aware of all your care at home options? Do you need tips on moving someone around the home?
Carers support groups
Finance and Law
Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.
- Benefits for carers
Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role
- Benefits for the person you care for
Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to
- Death and benefits
How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits
- Managing someone's legal affairs
Advice for when carers find they have to take over the legal affairs of the person they are looking after
- Other benefits
Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring
- Personal and household finance
Advice on keeping a tight rein on household and personal finance for carers
- Social fund
- Tax credits Free First Aid Training For Carers
Information on claiming tax credits and whether you might be eligible
Launch of ‘Breathing Space’ a new exciting service for people in Northampton and Daventry area with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases (COPD) and their unpaid Carers.
Click on the link for full details of events